7 benefits of creating a wireframe for your website
Everyone knows the benefits of a well thought out plan before you build your dream house. However, when it comes to planning a website, the detailed planning is sometimes overlooked. Use the following tips to build the perfect structure for your site.
- All website and app builds should begin with the production of a wireframe. Even simple websites benefit from the careful mapping and planning of user journeys to improve the user experience (UX) throughout.
- Wireframes are the ideal testing ground for site structure or ‘information architecture’ (IA) and user experience (UX) – they need to include everything that is planned for a website, no stone should be left unturned.
- Wireframes are a simple way of ‘building’ all the functional aspects of a website without the expense of development. A low fidelity wireframe can be built in minutes and user tested to validate a hypothesis in a very quick and cost effective manner.
- If you are planning to have more bespoke or complex interactions, elements of the wireframe can be converted into high fidelity wireframes or HTML prototypes, to carry out immersive user testing and research before full development begins. These tests can be run with target audiences through user testing solutions such as this.
- Programmes such as InVision, Axure or even Visio enable wireframes to be published and shared online with key stakeholders to allow collaboration and feedback. Some great tools found here.
- They can identify roadblocks and pinch-points in the user journey, giving designers a clear indication of the areas that need improving and allowing for more efficient development. Removing costly mistakes at this point results in a lean product development approach and speedier launch times.
- If you have any existing websites or online resources (often expanded organically over time with no clear plan) these can be consolidated into one centrally planned structure. This process can improve the flow within a site and remove unnecessary steps or barriers, resulting in a cleaner journey.