The following outlines how a payment is made through the WorldPay Payment Service and how we deal with the transaction.
- A shopper visits an e-commerce website and selects the products/services that they would like to buy.
- The shopper then proceeds to the merchant's checkout with their shopping basket. This generates a summary description of the purchase that is sent to WorldPay for payment processing. This submission is often referred to as the "purchase token".
- The shopper is redirected to WorldPay's secure server where they are presented with a series of payment pages, enabling them to choose their payment method and enter their payment details.
- WorldPay records the shopper's payment details against the details submitted in the purchase token, to produce a transaction.
- WorldPay forwards the transaction details to the card issuer for authentication. The issuer returns an authorised or declined response to WorldPay and a payment response page is then displayed to the shopper.
- If the transaction was successful, WorldPay will send the shopper and the merchant a confirmation email, confirming the transaction details.